Sunday, April 6, 2008

Proud To Be a Chennaiite!


A TRIP OUT OF

TOWN IS ALL IT

TAKES TO

APPRECIATE

THIS LOVELY

CITY OF OURS


I recently got a freebie ticket to go to Bangalore. I was thrilled, delighted and overjoyed at the prospect. After all, it was a city where the shopaholic in me could really let go. Think about it, they had more than one mall, they had outlets like Next and the Bombay Store. I couldn't wait. Plus I had a sick friend I need to visit, but I figured that retail therapy would be the best cure for him. I got up eagerly at 6 am, something I have not done in at least the past two months - such was the anticipation of getting away from boring old Chennai even for a day. The flight was on time (I was lucky indeed!) and I arrived in Bangalore at 9.30am. And then it began.

I came out of the airport to find that the taxi I had booked but was nowhere in sight. He was meant to have been waiting with a sign. After frantically ringing for about half an hour, he finally answered and then ten minutes later saunters across he had met up with a friend, he saucily informs me, without so much as a smile or an apology. We then proceed to the fabled Garuda Mall, where I find my friend waiting. I also found that there is nothing in the mall that I cannot get back in Chennai. Except perhaps a smile from fellow shoppers. While wandering around I got pushed, shoved and nudged by almost everybody. I got tired of being jostled by the greatness of Bangalore, so we got out and proceeded towards a famous cosmetics store. I bought a powder, which I am told is Rs 990. But my bill arrived and it was almost Rs 1300. The store's glitzy manager looks snootily at me as she presented the bill and I humbly paid up, walked out feeling bruised and felt sorry for myself.

We then stopped at a cafe for a drink and a snack. We ordered hotdogs which was served to us half an hour later. It seemed like they have run out of hot dogs. Fortified by half a hotdog we proceed to another mall where I found one of my favorite brands. I rush around like a loony, exclaiming at the collections and proceed to try and find my size in everything. I am very rudely told not to touch anything and to ask the salesgirls for help. Again not a smile to be had for love or money. And so it continued in this vain throughout the day.

Now what does all this have to do with Chennai? Not much. Except for the fact that I now have a profound appreciation for Chennai, its warm sales people, its better mannered crowds and its laid back approach to life. And I know I can get things here, that money can never buy, no matter wherever in the world I shop.


6 comments:

  1. Idhu yeppo?? Sollavae illa...hmm..your Language is getting superb post after post...Good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @divya:

    Thanks buddy! I dint go to B'lore. Just an imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey u have played wit d adjectives!! super..

    btw,wat u hav said s really true.. only wen u go out of ur own place,u get to know d real value of it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Gayatri:

    Hmm... Chennai Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one...:D keep it up!Na banglore ponadha vechi ezhudiniya??LOL

    Anu

    ReplyDelete

Flipkart.com

  Flipkart, founded by the Bansals in 2007 is now being headed by Kalyan Krishnamurthy since 2016. A Billion dollar firm with more than 70 m...