Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Need the Right Way?

I am totally challenged. I could lose my way around a circle. It is how I met my girl, but that's not a topic to deal in this post. In Chennai, my internal map seems even more off kilter than usual. Then invariably I have to start at least an hour before to go anywhere from my home. But then luckily I live in Chennai. This lovely city where everyone ranging from tea vendors to the driver of Mercedes are ready to help me out to find my way. It happens every time. I stop the car, roll down the window and poke my head hopefully. The passing cyclist immediately stops. I ask him in pidgin Tamil where to find a certain street or an area. He stares at me thoughtfully, looks into the distance, scratches his head as if he is trying to figure out the best way to explain a very complicated route to me. He looks at me, still head stuck out, still hopeful and asks "Address?" By now I have figured it out. This means some form of written information about my destination, I handed over it. He stares at it contemplating its mysteries. He then calls out to some random person passing by and gets into a conference with him, the address is passed aback and forth between them. After all this confabulation, he gives the address book and with a heroic look of someone who has discovered the answer to World peace and nods vigorously saying "theriyadhu!" and turns away dismissively.

There is also another variety of help one can finds on chennai's roads. The kind that one has to give the answer how unhelpful or inaccurate it might be. On fine day, I was attempting to find Razifith road in kalakshetra colony in Besant nagar. So began the drama. The nearest passerby was asked. He eventually consulted with the better part of roads itinerant population and after serious discussion they all beamed in consensus and gestured gracefully down the road, saying "strhaighta going two kilometers , taking left turn at the signal!" I greatfully nod my thanks and proceeded to drive. Twenty meters into the journey, I reached my destination.

So, getting lost in Chennai is very easy and there are plenty of folks help you do it!

Happy living in Chennai! Help Ever Hurt Never.......!

11 comments:

  1. Machi scene da....Ur able to write posts which happen in day to day life with ease and perfection...Enjoyed reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Bala:

    Thanx da... nice to see your comment here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi it was a good one.. had a similar kind of exp while going to besant nagar..u wrote it in a neat way

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Preethika:

    Thank you for your comments! keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i have started blogging too my blog id is www.preethikask.blogspot.com..visit and leave ur comments soon..thank u

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    I always rely on 'Naviga' a book of chennai streets indexed properly. Though outdated it gives me at least an idea of the locality. I do not know if it is published now. Otherwise I rely on mobile ironers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..Yes! I have heard of 'Naviga'. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Flipkart.com

  Flipkart, founded by the Bansals in 2007 is now being headed by Kalyan Krishnamurthy since 2016. A Billion dollar firm with more than 70 m...